Thursday, September 17, 2009

Community Service

Community service day at school is slightly different on this island. The first part we were just picking up trash along the streets which is pretty normal for community service. But the last part, we went to the beach to plant coconuts and coconut saplings. Why? you may ask. I really don't know. Something to do about fresh water maybe?? I'm not sure. I have already mentioned that pretty much all the tap water on the island is diluted salt water, right? So we wash our dishes and ourselves in half salt water everyday. The people who live on the compound at the clinic however, are very lucky because they have rainwater. We get plenty of rain here. It doesn't just rain in Saipan, it DUMPS buckets for like 10 or 20 minutes and then just stops. On rainy days, like today, it'll just dump sporadically throughout the day and we'll have frizzy hair and what not, but that's just island life. I had a student leave today. He was just a temporary student and he's heading back to Japan. Some families do that, they come vacation here for a few weeks or months, and put their kids in school for that short time, and then they go back home. So now I'm back down to 10, which is ok with me. 

Nothing too exciting real recently. I guess we're still on typhoon watch. This wind and rain are really loud and crazy as I'm writing this. Kinda fun. Maybe I'll go outside and take a fresh water shower ;)

2 comments:

  1. DO IT!! I wish I could do that. Miss you lisa! Love Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing your blog notes!!! And the picture of your classroom & kids! If Dad were there, he'd set up a way for you guys to collect rain water....it's the best-tasting water!! We collected it when we lived in Zambia....off our roof and down the gutters. We'd wait until it had rained enough to "wash" the roof and then put our buckets under the ends of the gutters. Anyway....LOVE YOU!! We'll be riding on today!

    ReplyDelete