So now we're back home getting our own personal belongings together to go and stay out at the compound by the clinic because if this storm is as bad as it is expected to be, I'm pretty sure our house is going to be wrecked! It's not concrete, in fact, I found out from a former resident of Saipan that our housing was only meant to be temporary and was expected to only last about ten years and I'm pretty sure we're past that expiration date! So I'm really praying that the storm won't hit that hard, so we won't be homeless. Fortunately for our reef surrounding our island, we should stay pretty safe from tsunamis. Don't quote me though, these are all things that I have just heard. In a few days I'll be able to tell you all what really went down! So please keep Saipan and Guam and any other places to be affected in your prayers!
Thursday, October 1, 2009
SUPERTYPHOON!!
We're packing up and prepping for a major typhoon. We're no longer just on typhoon watch, we're in typhoon warning, and it's very possible that this one can intensify into a super-typhoon which is like the WORST kind!! But who knows, maybe nothing will happen. I was teaching in my geometry classroom as the maintenance men were boarding up our windows this morning. Then after school we had to prepare the bottom floor for flooding. As one of the students was leaving the school she had forgotten her binder on top of the car and they drove out into the street and the binder fell off and the papers blew EVERYWHERE! So Sharla, Holly and I witnessed this happening, and the student's mom pulled over and we three teachers were out running in the middle of the street chasing these papers that the wind was trying to carry away. Cars were stopped in the middle of the road with their hazard lights on as we weaved between them trying to rescue all of the homework assignments. We were all laughing as we're running around and other driver's would point out papers for us to retrieve, and we finally rescued them all and got them back into the hands of the student!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Glad to hear the you are moving up to the Clinic. This one is going to turn into a Super Typhoon before it hits Saipan. Right now it is tracking just North of the island, but close enought to do some real damage. I'll be praying for you guys.
ReplyDeletePhil
THe weather people in guam say that it could reach up to 160 mph winds here in Saipan! There's one that is coming between us and Guam, and i thought Guam was South of us. right?
ReplyDeleteBy the time it gets to Saipan the sustained winds are forcast to be 130 knots or about 150mph with gusts up to 160 knots or about 185mph.
ReplyDeleteI've been through some big typhoons, but I think this is bigger then anything we had while living there.
Have fun!!