Sunday, August 9, 2009

Safe in Saipan!

Well, I'm here! Actually I've already been here for a few days, but it seems like since we've arrived it's been on the go all the time! So much preparation to do! We landed Thursday night, and Friday morning we were taken to get new driver's licenses, groceries and health clearance. The clinic was an interesting experience. The doctor was an American middle aged guy, with a mullet and an earring and he was wearing a flannel shirt and jeans. I don't think Uncle Keith has EVER gone to the office looking like that! 

Anyways, they've been taking really good care of us while we've been here. Lot's of pasta and rice! This is definitely the island for me! Saturday we went to sabbath school and I had to give a personal testimony, last minute. Yikes! Cute small church, probably can't hold more than fifty people. After church we had a yummy potluck and then came home to change for the "island tour". It's tradition to make the "newbies" ride in the back of this beat up old truck for the tour. It was raining on us most of the time we rode back there, but it was warm rain, so it wasn't too bad. My favorite stop was this place called the "Grotto" or something like that. It's like this underground place to go swimming in the ocean. So beautiful, the water is an awesome color of blue! I was scared to see if there were any fish though (fish scare me). There were also these high rocks down there that we could climb and jump off of, and I did! A few of the church members tagged along on our excursion and were laughing at us and taking pictures. good times! Mike Stafford and his family were with us as well. He has the cutest kids ever! (For those of you who don't know, Mike and his parents and stuff were in Africa when he was in highschool and I was just a little girl)(right mom and dad?) Anyways, had so much fun! 

Today was a lot of work at the school moving stuff and rearranging all of the classrooms! I'm teaching 1st and 2nd grade and so I did a lot of work in my new classroom today. A lot of the church members helped and so did their kids. Ps. I think Asian kids are the cutest kids in the world! So excited to get to be their teacher! Start school this thursday, and have a lot of work to do before then, but I will try to keep you updated! Love to all and thanks for all of your support!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! looks like you're having about as much fun as I am! nice car sis don't wreck it:) You should see the trucks that we drive around. they rock! I'm glad that you're having lot's of fun. Give Alex a hug for me and tell her to get better. Love you and miss you lots!
    -Shaun

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to see your pix and hear about your first days! Missing you lots! Hi to Pierson's and Staffords and of course, Alex!! Hope she's feeling better. Love you lots!! PS....we biked over 100 miles last week while we were at MiVoden (fell in love with those bikes!!).

    ReplyDelete